- 8 slices Fantino & Mondello original cooked Pancetta
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) white vinegar
- 8 whole eggs plus 8 egg yolks
- 410 ml (1 2/3 cup) unsalted butter
- 25 ml (5 tsp) white wine
- 25 ml (5 tsp) lemon juice
- 1 large store-bought fougasse bread without holes (plain, without olives)
- Spicy or mild store-bought antipasto, to taste
- Fine herbs of your choice (such as chives)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pancetta on top.
- Let cook for around 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the water and vinegar to a gentle boil (tiny bubbles).
- Break the eggs into a container (cup or saucer).
- Once the water is boiling, use a large slotted spoon to stir the water and create a whirlpool.
- One at a time, quickly slip the eggs into the centre of the whirlpool and time for 3 minutes. (Depending on the size of the pan, poach the eggs in groups of 4.)
- Remove the eggs and set aside on a plate lined with a clean cloth to drain the excess water.
- Melt the butter in the microwave oven and skim off the white solid particles that float to the surface.
- In the lower section of a double boiler, bring the water to a boil. Remove the top section from the heat, whisk in the white wine and 8 egg yolks, and return to the heat.
- Stir vigorously until the mixture doubles in volume. (Do not allow the water to boil – gently reduce the heat if necessary.)
- Remove from the heat and drizzle a web of melted butter over the top, being careful to not over-stir it into the buttermilk mixture.
- Thin the sauce with 15 ml (1 tbsp) of hot water taken from the bottom of the double boiler.
- Add the lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Separate the fougasse into 8 large croutons of the desired size. Toast in the oven (broil) until the croutons are golden and still slightly soft.
- For the presentation, place one crouton on each plate and garnish with pancetta and a poached egg. Top with hollandaise sauce, add antipasto and garnish with fine herbs. Serve immediately.
As seen in the 2018 VÉRO Magazine Holiday Edition.
DISCOVER SOME PRODUCT TIPS AND TRICKS
SEETIPS & TRICKS